Norwell Public Library Building Project
This opportunity is made possible thanks to years of work and the collective efforts of the Library Project Committee, Library/Town Hall Study Committee, NPL Board of Trustees, NPL Foundation, Friends of NPL, library staff, town officials, other town departments, and many others in the community.
Benefits of a New Library:
- A larger, easily accessible, energy efficient building that meets or exceeds current building codes
- A Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified Silver qualification
- More than twice as many parking spaces for library users
- More space for the collection of books, movies, music, magazines, and other resources
- A larger community meeting room that is designed to allow for after hours use
- Small meeting/study rooms for individuals and groups of 4-6 people
- More seating throughout the library to accommodate library users
- Improved technology infrastructure that will provide free access to current technology
- A Local History Room, providing improved access to historical collections and conference space for 10-12 people
- A spacious Children's Room, including a program/craft room for children's activities
- A Young Adult Room that will provide a welcoming destination for teens
- A Technology/Maker Lab for technology instruction, experiential learning, innovation, and meeting space
View the estimated project timeline here.
Update from Library Building Committee:
During the spring of 2018, the Library Building Committee has been very busy preparing for the construction of a new Norwell Public Library. The LBC opted to retain the services of Pomroy Associates as Owners Project Manager and hired Oudens-Ello Architects to design the new facility. The project is underway with architects working with library staff and committee on the most efficient and workable floor plan to meet all the needs and requirements of this facility.
The Town received the first of 5 payments from the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners in the amount of $1.2 million in March. Additional payments will be received as certain milestones are reached and reported.
The interior floor plan is coming together. Adjacencies, sightlines, security, after-hours access are all part of this ongoing discussion. Exterior and roofing materials are under discussion. Storm-water management is a major consideration influencing choices to be made. A temporary location for the library during construction has yet to be determined.
Several questions regarding septic, water pressure and additional wetlands concerns have been favorably addressed. Reports and meetings with associated boards will be coming during the next few months. A meeting to update the Board of Selectmen is scheduled for June 27. Preliminary plans may be presented at that time.
- December 9: Norwell voters approved (1,118 to 345) a debt exclusion override to fund the new library.
- December 4: Norwell voters approved (506 to 61) funding the new library at the Special Town Meeting.
View presentation slides from the December 4, 2017 Special Town Meeting here.
- November 30: A final information session was held in the Osborne Room at Town Hall.
- November 7: Two information sessions were held at the Norwell Public Library.
View presentation slides from the November 7, 2017 information sessions here.
View article from Norwell Mariner about Library Building Project Information Session here.
- November 1: The Board of Selectmen voted 5 - 0 in favor of the proposed library project.
- October 30: The Advisory Board voted 9 - 0 in favor of the proposed library project.
- October 19: The Library Project Committee presented a project update to the Advisory Board.
View presentation slides from October 19, 2017 Update to Advisory Board here.
July 13: Norwell was awarded a provisional construction grant of $6,360,764 through the Massachusetts Public Library Construction Program. The grant would fund over 40% of the cost to build a new library. To receive the grant, Norwell has until January 12, 2018 to secure local funding approval.
- Norwell Town Meeting voters approved the preliminary schematic design (Article 10) at Annual Town Meeting on May 8, 2017.
- Norwell Town Meeting voters authorized the Board of Library Trustees to "apply for, accept, and expend" construction grant funds (Article 11)
at Annual Town Meeting on May 8, 2017.
Note: These approvals are required of all construction grant applicants. They DO NOT commit the town to funding the project
The Library Project Committee completed a feasibility study for a new library, including a preliminary schematic design (floor plan) and detailed cost estimate. View an architectural rendering of the proposed builiding exterior here.
A construction grant application was submitted on January 19, 2017 to the Massachusetts Public Library Construction Program. If approved, the grant award would be roughly $6,000,000, which would cover about 46% of eligible project costs. A copy of the grant application is available in the library and an additional copy is available in the selectmen's office at town hall.
A Letter of Intent (to apply for a construction grant) was filed with the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
The Library Project Committee updated the Board of Selectmen on progress to date. Click here to view the committee's presentation.
The Library Project Committee selected Hale Associates as the architectural firm for the planning and design phase of a library building project.
Town meeting voters approved the transfer of $23,422 from ATM 2014, Article 11 "for the purpose of planning and designing a new Town Library or to plan and design renovations and/or an addition to the existing Town Library or to take any other action related thereto." (STM 2016, Article 6).
The Library Project Committee selected Pomroy Associates as the Owner's Project Manager for the planning and design phase of a library building project.
The Norwell Board of Selectmen established the Library Project Committee in order to:Conduct a feasibility study for a construction grant. Hire an Owner's Project Manager. Hire an Architect. Solicit funds for a feasibility study including a reallocation of remaining LTHSC article 11 ATM FY 2015 funds in the amount of $23,422.08.
The Library/Town Hall Study Committee submitted its final report after the completion of a two-year study of 7 potential sites for library and/or town hall building projects.
- The Norwell Public Library Building Program was completed.
"A library building program is a document, based on data collected from the community, that serves as a guidebook or set of instructions from the library director, trustees and staff to the architect."
- The Norwell Public Library Board of Trustees voted unanimously to accept the Building Program.
- The Norwell Public Library Board of Trustees voted unanimously to approve 64 South Street as the preferred site for a new library.
- The Library/Town Hall Study Committee recommended (5-1 vote) 64 South Street as the preferred site for a new library.
- The Board of Selectmen voted unanimously to move forward with 64 South Street as the preferred site for a new library.
Norwell Public Library's 2015-2020 Long Range Plan was submitted to the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
Grant Application - Massachusetts Public Library Construction Program
Tab A - Title/Deed and Related Documentation
Tab B - Copy of Town Meeting/City Co. Votes
Tab C - Map of Location of Proposed Site
Tab D - Existing Library Bldg. Floor Plan
Tab E - Master/Library Long Range Plan Excerpts
Tab F - Library Building Program
Tab G - MA Historical Commission Project Notification
Tab H - Geotechnical Report
Tab I - Hazardous Materials Survey
Tab J - Structural Analysis
Tab K - Engineering & Other Surveys & Reports - ANRAD
Tab K - Engineering & Other Surveys & Reports - ORAD
Tab K - Engineering & Other Surveys & Reports - ORAD Amendment
Tab L - Detailed Cost Estimate
Tab M - LEED Scorecard
Tab N - Local Approval of Parking Plan
Tab O - Landscape & Site Plan
Tab O - Main Floor Plan
Tab O - Mezzanine/Basement/Roof Plan
Tab O - Cross Sections
Tab O - Cross Sections 2
Tab O - Elevations
Tab O - Exterior Rendering
Tab O - Interior Rendering
Tab P - Estimated Timeline
Suggestions or questions?