Norwell Public Library Building Project
Norwell Public Library is one of 34 public libraries in Massachusetts participating in the Massachusetts Public Library Construction Program's 2016-2017 grant round. A construction grant application was submitted on January 19, 2017. If approved, the grant award would be roughly $6,000,000, which would cover about 46% of eligible project costs.
Some of the benefits of a new library include:
- A larger, easily accessible, energy efficient building that meets or exceeds current building codes
- A Leadership in Energy and Environmentsl Design (LEED) certified Silver qualification
- More than twice as many parking spaces for library users
- More space for the collection of books, movies, music, magazines, and other resources
- A larger community meeting room that isdesigned to allow for after hours use
- Small meeting/study rooms for individuals and groups of 4-6 people
- More seating throughout the library to accommodate library users
- Improved technology infrastructure that will provide free access to current technology
- A Local History Room, providing space to preserve and research Norwell's history
- A spacious Children's Room, including a program/craft room for children's activities
- A Young Adult Room that will provide a welcoming destination for teens
- A Makerspace Lab for experiential learning, creativity, and innovation
Frequently Asked Questions:
Click here to learn the answers to frequently asked questions.
The Library Project Committee, Library/Town Hall Study Committee, NPL Board of Trustees, library staff, town officials, and members of the community have assisted with planning and preparation for submission of a construction grant application. Following is a summary of milestones completed, next steps, and related resources.
The Library Project Committee completed a feasibility study for a new library, including a preliminary schematic design (floor plan) and detailed cost estimate. View an architectural rendering of the proposed builiding exterior here.
A construction grant application was submitted on January 19, 2017 to the Massachusetts Public Library Construction Program. If approved, the grant award would be roughly $6,000,000, which would cover about 46% of eligible project costs. A copy of the grant application is available in the library and an additional copy is available in the selectmen's office at town hall.
A Letter of Intent (to apply for a construction grant) was filed with the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
The Library Project Committee updated the Board of Selectmen on progress to date. Click here to view the committee's presentation.
The Library Project Committee selected Hale Associates as the architectural firm for the planning and design phase of a library building project.
Town meeting voters approved the transfer of $23,422 from ATM 2014, Article 11 "for the purpose of planning and designing a new Town Library or to plan and design renovations and/or an addition to the existing Town Library or to take any other action related thereto." (STM 2016, Article 6).
The Library Project Committee selected Pomroy Associates as the Owner's Project Manager for the planning and design phase of a library building project.
The Norwell Board of Selectmen established the Library Project Committee in order to:Conduct a feasibility study for a construction grant. Hire an Owner's Project Manager. Hire an Architect. Solicit funds for a feasibility study including a reallocation of remaining LTHSC article 11 ATM FY 2015 funds in the amount of $23,422.08.
The Library/Town Hall Study Committee submitted its final report after the completion of a two-year study of 7 potential sites for library and/or town hall building projects.
- The Norwell Public Library Building Program was completed.
"A library building program is a document, based on data collected from the community, that serves as a guidebook or set of instructions from the library director, trustees and staff to the architect."
- The Norwell Public Library Board of Trustees voted unanimously to accept the Building Program.
- The Norwell Public Library Board of Trustees voted unanimously to approve 64 South Street as the preferred site for a new library.
- The Library/Town Hall Study Committee recommended (5-1 vote) 64 South Street as the preferred site for a new library.
- The Board of Selectmen voted unanimously to move forward with 64 South Street as the preferred site for a new library.
Norwell Public Library's 2015-2020 Long Range Plan was submitted to the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
- Seek approval of preliminary design at Annual Town Meeting on May 8-9, 2017.
- Seek approval to "apply for, accept, and expend" construction grant funds at Annual Town Meeting on May 8-9, 2017.
(These approvals are required of all construction grant applicants. They DO NOT commit the town to funding the project.)
Proposed preliminary schematic design (floor plan)
Exterior rendering of proposed preliminary design
Norwell Library Project Committee Website
Library Project Committee Presentation to Board of Selectmen, September, 2016
Norwell Public Library Long Range Plan 2015-2020
Report of the Library/Town Hall Study Committee, December, 2015
Norwell Public Library Building Program
Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners website
Suggestions or questions?