Norwell Public Library Building Project
This is the final information session before the December 4th Special Town Meeting. Take advantage of this opportunity to learn about the proposed project and ask questions of the Library Project Committee.
Date: Thursday November 30, 2017
Time: 7:00 pm
Location: Norwell Town Hall, Osborn Room
On July 13, 2017, Norwell was one of 9 out of 33 applicants in the Massachusetts Public Library Construction Program's 2016-2017 Grant Round to be awarded a provisional grant; the remaining 24 applicants were placed on a waiting list. Norwell's grant of over $6 million will fund more than 40% of the cost to build a new library.
This opportunity is made possible thanks to years of work and the collective efforts of the Library Project Committee, Library/Town Hall Study Committee, NPL Board of Trustees, NPL Foundation, Friends of NPL, library staff, town officials, and others in the community.
Benefits of a New Library:
- A larger, easily accessible, energy efficient building that meets or exceeds current building codes
- A Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified Silver qualification
- More than twice as many parking spaces for library users
- More space for the collection of books, movies, music, magazines, and other resources
- A larger community meeting room that is designed to allow for after hours use
- Small meeting/study rooms for individuals and groups of 4-6 people
- More seating throughout the library to accommodate library users
- Improved technology infrastructure that will provide free access to current technology
- A Local History Room, providing improved access to historical collections and conference space for 10-12 people
- A spacious Children's Room, including a program/craft room for children's activities
- A Young Adult Room that will provide a welcoming destination for teens
- A Technology/Maker Lab for technology instruction, experiential learning, innovation, and meeting space
Norwell's $6.4 million provisional library construction grant, which was awarded in July through the Massachusetts Public Library Construction Program, is contingent upon approval of local funding by January 12, 2018. A Special Town Meeting and Special Election have been scheduled for this purpose.
Special Town Meeting:
Monday, December 4, 2017
Norwell Middle School
Saturday, December 9, 2017
8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Norwell Middle School
The Board of Selectmen voted 5 - 0 in favor of the proposed library project on November 1, 2017.
The Advisory Board voted 9 - 0 in favor of the proposed library project on October 30, 2017.
View the presentation slides from the Library Project Committee's October 19, 2017 Update to the Advisory Board here.
Norwell was awarded a provisional grant of $6,360,764 through the MBLC Construction Grant Program. This will fund over 40% of project costs. The grant is contingent upon approval of local funding by January 12, 2018.
- Norwell Town Meeting voters approved the preliminary schematic design (Article 10) at Annual Town Meeting on May 8, 2017.
- Norwell Town Meeting voters authorized the Board of Library Trustees to "apply for, accept, and expend" construction grant funds (Article 11)
at Annual Town Meeting on May 8, 2017.
Note: These approvals are required of all construction grant applicants. They DO NOT commit the town to funding the project
The Library Project Committee completed a feasibility study for a new library, including a preliminary schematic design (floor plan) and detailed cost estimate. View an architectural rendering of the proposed builiding exterior here.
A construction grant application was submitted on January 19, 2017 to the Massachusetts Public Library Construction Program. If approved, the grant award would be roughly $6,000,000, which would cover about 46% of eligible project costs. A copy of the grant application is available in the library and an additional copy is available in the selectmen's office at town hall.
A Letter of Intent (to apply for a construction grant) was filed with the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
The Library Project Committee updated the Board of Selectmen on progress to date. Click here to view the committee's presentation.
The Library Project Committee selected Hale Associates as the architectural firm for the planning and design phase of a library building project.
Town meeting voters approved the transfer of $23,422 from ATM 2014, Article 11 "for the purpose of planning and designing a new Town Library or to plan and design renovations and/or an addition to the existing Town Library or to take any other action related thereto." (STM 2016, Article 6).
The Library Project Committee selected Pomroy Associates as the Owner's Project Manager for the planning and design phase of a library building project.
The Norwell Board of Selectmen established the Library Project Committee in order to:Conduct a feasibility study for a construction grant. Hire an Owner's Project Manager. Hire an Architect. Solicit funds for a feasibility study including a reallocation of remaining LTHSC article 11 ATM FY 2015 funds in the amount of $23,422.08.
The Library/Town Hall Study Committee submitted its final report after the completion of a two-year study of 7 potential sites for library and/or town hall building projects.
- The Norwell Public Library Building Program was completed.
"A library building program is a document, based on data collected from the community, that serves as a guidebook or set of instructions from the library director, trustees and staff to the architect."
- The Norwell Public Library Board of Trustees voted unanimously to accept the Building Program.
- The Norwell Public Library Board of Trustees voted unanimously to approve 64 South Street as the preferred site for a new library.
- The Library/Town Hall Study Committee recommended (5-1 vote) 64 South Street as the preferred site for a new library.
- The Board of Selectmen voted unanimously to move forward with 64 South Street as the preferred site for a new library.
Norwell Public Library's 2015-2020 Long Range Plan was submitted to the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
Proposed Library Building Project Information Pamphlet
Proposed preliminary schematic design (floor plan)
Exterior rendering of proposed preliminary design
Library Project Committee Presentation to Board of Selectmen, September, 2016
Norwell Public Library Long Range Plan 2015-2020
Report of the Library/Town Hall Study Committee, December, 2015
Norwell Public Library Building Program
Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners website
Suggestions or questions?